Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Dental Approved!

So I called the Peace Corps headquarters in D.C. in order to be my, "own best advocate" and spoke to one of the head screening nurses the other day. She told me that my dental paperwork had been reviewed and approved! So, I got that going for me...which is nice. She also informed me that Peace Corps is really swamped with medical packets right now, and they don't even start reviewing your medical paperwork until about 4 months before your departure. That kinda sucks, but its all part of the process. So we'll see what happens. When I first started the application process in February, I would talk to returned volunteers and read things that described how lengthy the application process is. I never understood what all the fuss was about (being I had completed the online application in a day), but now I definitely understand. It reminds me of the Army a little...(Hurry up and wait). By the way, for any of you applicants reading this, I want to recommend a book for those thinking of joining the Peace Corps, or those waiting to leave. It is called, "The Insider's Guide to the Peace Corps: What to know before you go", and the author is a RPCV (returned peace corps volunteer) named Dillon Banjeree. He just wrote a 2nd edition that was published in April 2009. I found the book to be very helpful and informative as far as what to expect during the application process, as well as what you may encounter while serving.

So that's about it for now. Oh yeah, I have decided to take a couple month motorcycle trip out East starting at the beginning of August. My plan is to get out to NYC as soon as possible to see a friend, and then cruise around and see old Army buddies and family in Wisconsin, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Tennessee, South Carolina, and anywhere else friendly faces may be. I'm not really sure what my plan is after that, but I'm sure it will all work out...it always does.

No comments: