Friday, March 4, 2011

Movin' On Up!! (NEW ADDRESS)

I made the move out of my village and arrived in Lilongwe yesterday!! What a headache to move all my meager belongings halfway across the country in rainy season, but all well that ends well. I am currently staying at a guesthouse with my soon to be roomate, Antonia. Peace Corps is telling us that we should be able to move into our new house sometime next week and then I will be able to start work with Music Crossroads soon after that!! Although I was sad to leave my village and my PC friends in the North, I am very happy and excited to start working with Music Crossroads and teaching music to kids as well as HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention here in the capital city. Also, Antonia said she loves to cook!!! Those of you who know me personally know that cooking is a big part of what I like to call my "nonexistent skillset", so I'm happy she enjoys it and is willing to help contribute to my survival here. So, what's gonna change, you ask? Well, I am now living in the capital city with access to a lot of things I previously did not:
Electricity
Running Water
Easy Internet Access
Food, glorious food!!
Access to PC Office (resources/help)
These are the big ones for sure, and it's gonna be a big change for me. Not sure how I'm gonna cope or adjust, ya know? Pangono pangono [little by little](they speak a different language here, Chichewa, so I will soon be tri-lingual in Malawi!) Anyway, thanks for all the support and kind words from back home. Here's my new address if you want to send letters or packages:

PCV PHILLIP RICH
BOX 208 LILONGWE
MALAWI
SOUTHERN AFRICA


Thanks again to everyone who has sent stuff already, it means a lot. All the best.
Peace,
Phil

Random shout out to a reader: HI, JO'S MOM!!!

2 comments:

David said...

Will you still recieve packages at your old address? Debbie and I sent a package about 1.5 weeks ago.

Lucie said...

Hello!
My name is Lucie and I am working for Young in Prison, the NGO based in Amsterdam which funds the program that Music Crossraods are implementing in Kachere and Mybansi.
It would be great to hear how you are finding life in Lilongwe and of course your feedback on the programme would be awesome!
You can e-mail me at lucie@younginprison.nl