Monday, July 6, 2009

A Case of the "Mondays"


Hey everyone,

So I got back yesterday from a great 4th of July weekend. I flew to Missouri to see my girlfriend Emily and her family. They took me to Lake of the Ozarks for the weekend to enjoy lots of great food, waterskiing, and fireworks. I really had a great time, and it was cool to visit somewhere I had never been. They always make me feel at home, and go out of their way to pack as much fun as possible into the short time I can visit. All in all, it was a perfect weekend, and I can't wait to visit again after my motorcycle trip.

Now on to the Peace Corps "update". I called PC Headquarters this morning and talked to the same lady I did a month ago. She said that Peace Corps is still really backed up reviewing medical packets from applicants who leave in August and September. I was told there had been no progress on my packet, but she expected there would be a development in "Late August". This was kinda discouraging b/c she told me a month ago that she thought there would be progress by now. I'm guessing that means that by late August they will at least start to look at my packet. Then, if there are any paperwork errors, etc. they will let me know. I am NOT planning on this part going easily. Maybe I'm a bit of a synic, but I would be very surprised if the medical packet gets reviewed and approved without a hitch. I know that it will all work out, but its just getting really hard not knowing anything new for so long. Its hard not to worry about your future when its so uncertain, but everything happens for a reason. Patience is one of the best things you can learn from the application process, but it can be a hard pill to swallow at times.

So, that's about it for now. I'm getting pretty excited about being done at HP (July 24th!), and starting the motorcycle trip (August 1st). I bought a new helmet, ordered new tires, and have my one man tent ready to go! I'm planning on using this blog to update everyone once I'm on the motorcycle trip. So check back around the end of July for that. Take care.

2 comments:

Shadiddy said...

I feel the same way! It's frustrating because you don't want to make any drastic life decisions before you know if you'll be shipping across the world or not! Argh...being patient stinks! LOL

Jessica said...

I read your comment on another PCV page in Peru. My brother is there now in training. It took my brother 2 years to finally get over there from when he first applied. They were going to send him to Tonga in the Pacific Islands. Then said they wanted him to go to Bolivia only to have them pull everyone out of Bolivia for their safety. Finally they sent him to Peru. Which is where he had really wanted to go. So hang in there and the PC will eventually get signed somewhere.